Crisis communication - Prof. Stefano Cianciotta - a.a. 2016/2017
Economical Journalist, 43 years old.
He graduated with honors in Political Science at the University Studies of Teramo, PhD in Communication and Political Thought, nowdays he is Professor of Crisis Communication at the Faculty of Communication Sciences, University of Teramo, at the School of Public Administration of the Presidency of the Council of Ministers, and at the Umbrian School of Public Administration, University of Perugia.
He started as a journalist in the local offices of the newspaper "Il Tempo" and "Il Centro", before moving on to the regional television Teleponte, where he worked for two years. He attended a master at the University of Perugia in Public and Institutional Communication, then he was in charge of teaching in Communication Strategies to Master in Corporate Communication of the Umbrian School of Public Administration, for which he also coordinated the publication in 2010 on the reform of Umbria Region. From 2002 to 2008 he was a consultant in the Teramo Province - Sector Labour Policies, and responsible for marketing and communication of the Job Centres.
Since 2005 he has been writing for the Editor in the Building Area of the Company Publishing Tecniche Nuove (Milano), mainly dealing with urban and internationalization issues (almost 300 articles).
Consultant for companies, governmental agencies and associations, he is providing professional activity in the field of Crisis Communication and Media relations, collaborating with universities, trade associations, public entities and Italian Army, organizing and carrying out courses and seminars on communication strategies, anaging and building consensus, Crisis and emergency communication.
He has been working (September 2015) as a Consultant of the Italian Episcopal Conference to draw up the Guide lines of the National Document on the social and economic urban regeneration.
He published in 2013 The Condemnation of Major Risks Committee (Aracne Roma), which analyzed the weight of the wrong communication strategy on the sentencing of Scientists in L'Aquila after the earthquake of 2009, and in 2014 manual titled Communicating and manage the crisis, strategies, actions and tools to protect the company's reputation (Maggioli Editore, Bologna). In July 2015 he has written Communicating and Organizing the emergency in Public Administration (Maggioli Editore, Bologna); He’s going to publish one other book entitled Training for the Future, a book that explains how it is evolving labor market (Rubbettino, Soveria Mannelli).
Since 2014, he’s working as an economic commentator for the transmissions of TG1 Rai Uno Mattina and Uno Mattina in Famiglia and the magazine Il Foglio and Il Messaggero (Abruzzo version).
- Knowledge and understanding:
The course objective is to introduce students to understand what are the techniques and communication strategies and public relations to support the company in increasing its communicative action on the territory, extending its positive perception in an attempt to offer to the local community appropriate information and participation tools.
The workshop will also include the creation of a project work, in which students will be involved in analyzing corporate crisis phenomena, and to consider concrete solutions at the level of Communication and Public Relations, to manage a strategic level the identified issues that concern businesses and national and international companies, of which the critical and assumed appropriate solutions will be evaluated and analyzed in order to preserve the reputation, and facilitate the investment.
- Applying knowledge and understanding:
- At the end of the workshop, students will be able to prevent and analyze corporate crises, and plan appropriate communication strategies to support the company in the selection and identification of the most suitable instruments, the preventive phase to the more "dramatic" of crisis communication.
- The students, in fact, will be able to assess the timing and modes of communication actions to b
- Making judgements:
- Learning skills: The setting up of new production facilities, the construction of new infrastructures with a strong environmental impact, the management of a period of deep recession, for a company are highly complex and heterogeneous phenomena.In Italy such situations have assumed significant proportions and concern unconditionally plants linked to the waste treatment cycle (solid waste incinerators and incinerators), for the production of energy (power lines) and road and rail networks (emblematic case is that of TAV in Piedmont ), oil exploration (Abruzzo and Puglia), as well as situations related to corporate reorganization and the decommissioning of plants (see the case Omsa-Golden Lady). The demonstrations of dissent, in which social networks have acquired in recent years an increasingly decisive role, are supported by committees of citizens or environmental groups, but in many cases are promoted by local governments and politics, that beyond the evaluation critical work, take advantage of the popular movement to increase electoral support. From the communication point of view, therefore, the variables to be monitored for a company superabound and for each of them you can set up different ways of reading, involving in various capacities all business stakehoders, the internal target, up to investors, the ' public opinion, and the media. In order to strategically manage the impasse occurring in relation to settlement projects of "useful but unwanted" works, in relation to the phenomena of corporate crises that occur in times of economic recession, it is necessary to fully understand the complex dynamics of mutual and often synchronic influence between the three actors of the public sphere mediated (political system, public opinion and media). For this purpose will be presented, with particular attention to the business environment, the communication strategies that a company puts in place to build and govern the consensus at the regional level, with a particular emphasis on actions to prevent dissent (media monitoring, activities spindoctoring of social media).
- Comunicare e gestire la crisi, Stefano Cianciotta, Maggioli, Bologna, 2014
- L'impresa oltre la crisi, Gianluca Comin, Marsilio, Padova, 2016
- Friday h. 8.30-12.30 room 4