Music and visual arts management - Prof. Paolo Coen - a.a. 2017/2018
INFO ABOUT THE COURSE
OBJECTIVES OF THE COURSE
- Knowledge and understanding: The student acquires a first knowledge of the cultural elements - historical and theoretical - of the modern discipline of the Museum. The student also acquires a critical understanding of some key legislative elements, the decision-making and strategic-managerial processes related to the museum discipline, indispensable to interpret the process of constituting and modifying their strategies in a clear and modern way. At the same time, the student gains confidence, through ad hoc surveys, with the tools of analysis, management and communication that are the basis of the operation of any modern museum, from the visits to temporary exhibitions, to external financing techniques, additional services' (ticket office, bookshop, bar, catering, etc.). On this basis, through practical exercises, it also learns to develop a proper pricing and pricing policy.
- Applying knowledge and understanding: The student must prove to be capable of using in concrete terms what he/she learned through the lessons. The student has to master independently the concepts, schemes and methods of analysis of museum discipline, from reporting and internal communication tools to search of data and information about the reference scenario, including indicators - both quantitative and qualitative - expressed from various public streams. The aim is to identify the constant and variable factors affecting the quality and success of a museum institute, as well as the associated intervention levers. Regular exercises, to be held at groups or individually, widen the student's ability to conceive and process fixed exhibitions, temporary exhibitions, appropriate dining venues, crowd funding campaigns or other kinds of funding; the ability to analyze and subsequently propose an appropriate pricing policy; as well as appropriate communication strategies, including through the use of video and social networks.
- Making judgements: Students must be able to orient themselves in the complex dynamics of the modern discipline of the Museum. He/she must be able to identify the benchmarks in order to express a judgment on the museum's quality of a particular institute. The student must acquire adequate analysis and criticism of the various components of the modern museum, with particular reference to corporate, management and communication. The student must also be able to identify and locate a single institute - whether private or public - within the museum and cultural offer of the various strategic frameworks, from the common to the national and international level, so as to know the specific positioning, even in comparative terms, compared to any other parallel or competing institutes.
Students must acquire a specific ability to effectively communicate the
concepts learned and the results of their application, demonstrating
adequate language properties to be commensurate with the knowledge of
the terminology used in the museum field. To
this end, communicative skills can be stimulated through activities
such as reviewing written and oral reports, sample case analysis and
designing intervention plans in various areas of museum discipline: such
projects, either individually or in groups, are presented publicly in the classroom and are an integral part of teaching.
skills: The student must acquire the ability to master the discipline
of the museum, especially in the areas indicated. He
must understand and subsequently know how to rework the facts and
processes that preside over the museum's management and communication; to
know how to properly evaluate and interpret the key factors of the
Museum, if possible, from the cultural and management point of view; know
how to make strategically effective decisions according to the
objectives set for each institution and external constraints; able to present a competitive strategy analysis; able to analyze and identify, according to an effective approximation method, the best strategy and pricing policy.
PREREQUISITE AND PREPARATORY
- Prerequisite: Per ogni informazioni sui libri di testo cfr. www.paolocoen.blogspot.it e in particolare la pagina
- Preparatory: Non sono previte propedeuticità.
- Tuesday hour 11.00 - classroom
Le modalità di valutazione varieranno in funzione del numero degli studenti iscritti al corso. Esse saranno comunicate entro la prima settimana del corso. Sono comunque previste prove intermedie scritte: esse avranno la valenza di esoneri.